You’ll obtain a Gamertag when you first sign up for an Xbox account. A Gamertag is a type of nickname or username. It is used to represent you in the Xbox community and when playing games. The Gamertag cannot be manually entered. Microsoft will issue a random Gamertag when you create an Xbox account. As a result, there’s a good chance you won’t like the Gamertag that was produced at random. It’s critical to alter your Change Xbox Gamertag whenever you want.
Your Xbox profile’s Gamertag is one of the most prominent features. Microsoft modified the Xbox Gamertag settings globally in June 2019. A lot of changes have been made in the current release.
How to Change Xbox Gamertag [4 Simple Methods]
In this article, you can learn about xbox gamertag change. Here are the details below;
Features and limitations of Xbox Gamertag
Your gamertag might be in any of 200 languages.
If the gamertag has already been taken, it will be preceded by # and numbers. If MeganLeavey is already taken, for example, you can use MeganLeavey#12.
Your gamertag should be no more than 12 characters long.
If you use non-English characters in your gamertag, the English equivalent (ö for o) will display.
You can’t use emojis or special characters in your gamertag just now.
If you’d want to change the gamertag, you can do so for free, but only once. You must pay $9.99 if you want to change your gamertag for the second time.
Ways to Change Xbox Gamertag
Using use of Xbox One consoles
Xbox 360 consoles are being used.
On the internet
Making use of the Xbox Console Companion application
How to Change Xbox Gamertag using Xbox One Consoles
(1) To access the Profile tab, press the Xbox button.
(2) Now, go to top left corner of the screen and click on the Profile (Gamerpic).
(3) Then, to change your profile, click on your Profile.
(4) A menu with three options will display; select My Profile.
(5) You’ll be taken to your Profile page. On the right side of the screen, click Customize Profile.
(6) Your existing gamertag will now have an edit icon next to it (pencil shaped icon). To change your gamertag, simply click on it.
(7) On the next screen, some gamertag suggestions will show. To get more suggestions, click More. Make your own gametag by clicking Make my own.
(8) If you select Make my own, you will see a screen with a keyboard. Click the Enter key to enter your desired gametag. If you receive the message “That how to change your xbox name isn’t available.” You’ll have to type something more unique if you try a different one.”
(9) When you’re finished selecting a gamertag, click Claim. The changes will be saved, and you will be able to use your new how to change gamertag on xbox app.
How to Change Xbox Gamertag using Xbox 360 Consoles
(1) Select Sign in or out from the Social option.
(2) Select the Settings option from your profile by click on it.
(3) Select Profile from the drop-down menu to see your Profile page.
(4) On the Profile page, select Edit Profile from the drop-down menu.
(5) On the following example, select Gamertag (1st option).
(6) A window titled “Change Gamertag” will open. To type your chosen gamertag, click Enter New Gamertag, or click Get Suggestion to get an automated gamertag from Microsoft.
(7) Selecting Enter New Gamertag will give up a screen with a keyboard. Click Done after you’ve typed in your new gamertag.
(8) If you input a gamertag that has already been taken, you will get the screen below. Click Get Suggestions or Try Another Gamertag to input a unique one.
(9) If you type a gamertag that was not already taken, you’ll see the screen below.
(10) To modify the gamertag, click the Yes, use this gamertag button. If you wish to edit it again, select No, edit it from the drop-down menu. When you choose the Get Suggestion option to choose a gamertag, you’ll be directly taken to this box.
(11) On the confirmation window, click the Confirm Change button if you’re certain about your new gamertag.
(12) If the process is successful, the Congratulations! window will pop up. Continue to the next step by selecting Continue.
How to Change Xbox Gamertag Online
This method can be used if entering the new gamertag using the on-screen keyboard is difficult.
(1) Launch any of your computer web browsers.
(2) Visit social.xbox.com/changegamertag and, if asked, check in using your Xbox account.
(3) Click the Check availability button after entering your new gamertag in the designated area.
(4) If the exact match is already taken, the gamertag will be shown with some numbers. If you’re cool with it, click the xbox Change gamertag button. Click the Back button if you aren’t sure.
(5) The numbers will not appear if you enter a unique gamertag. Now, select Change gamertag from the drop-down menu.
(6) Click Change gamertag once more on the confirmation screen.
(7) After you’ve changed it, you’ll get the Success screen.
This method can also be used to change your Xbox gamertag on your phone. All Android and iOS devices are supported.
How to Change Xbox Gamertag using the Xbox Console Companion App
Xbox has its own app for PCs and laptops called Xbox Console Companion. It’s available for free download from the Microsoft Store, but it requires Windows 10. If you have Windows 10 installed on the computer, you can install the app.
(1) On your Windows 10 PC, download and run the Xbox Console Companion app.
(2) Use your Xbox account to log in.
(3) On the upper left of the screen, click the Gamerpic icon.
(4) Select Customize from the drop-down menu below your profile.
(5) On the following screen, choose Change gamertag.
(6) Enter your preferred gamertag and press the Check Availability button.
(7) Click Claim it if it’s available. If not, try again with a different gamertag.
Note: This method is only effective the first time you use it (free option). You will be directed to the payment option if you are updating your gamertag for the second time or paying money.
The Xbox software is available for Android and iOS smartphones, but it does not allow you to change your gamertag.
You will not be able to alter your gamertag for free a second time. You can, nevertheless, create a new Microsoft account and select your chosen gamertag. But, you will lose all of your progress from the previous account.
The above are the several methods for changing your Xbox gamertag. Note that Xbox allows you to change the gamertag for free just once. Make sure you choose your new gamertag correctly.